Getting to grips with edge computing can be quite a challenge, as there are many pitfalls and advantages to the technology that stakeholders need to be aware of. Thankfully, Schneider Electric has released two new e-guides to support the IT industry in addressing those challenges and ensuring that businesses get the most out of edge computing.
The new e-guides are available for free to IT and data centre professionals, managed service providers (MSPs) and value-added resellers (VARs), and cover two key areas. The first, which was developed in partnership with independent research firm, Canalys, is designed to help MSPs and VARs identify new revenue streams by supporting customers in their edge computing strategy.
Dubbed ‘How to Capitalize on the Edge Computing Opportunity’, this e-guide presents the results of Canalys’ primary research of more than 350 IT channel respondents regarding edge computing opportunities and challenges.
Key findings discussed in the e-guide include:
- Priority vertical industries for Internet of Things solutions include healthcare (37%), manufacturing (33%) and industrial (23%)
- Channel partners report that an average of 75% of their end users cite downtime as detrimental to their business
- Nearly all IT providers cited remote site management, physical security and standardized deployment as important or very important
In addition to discussing how channel partners can grow edge computing expertise, the e-guide provides a detailed roadmap for successfully identifying and implementing physical infrastructure to enable edge computing projects including how to:
- Identify solutions that complement existing portfolios
- Understand the required capabilities and sales approach
- Access tools that enable edge design, deployment and management
- Leverage wide ecosystem of partners to address emerging opportunities in industrial environments
What you need to know
The second e-guide has been specifically geared towards IT and data centre professionals, and identifies the right questions to ask and key steps to follow before selecting and deploying an edge infrastructure management solution.
The distributed nature of edge computing means sites often lack IT support and are more vulnerable to physical and cyber risk. The ‘Buyer’s Guide to Edge Infrastructure Management’ e-guide outlines the value of edge management and the important steps IT and data center professionals should take before buying and deploying a solution. By understanding the considerations and evaluating approaches in a pragmatic and methodical way, decision makers can identify solutions more effectively, ensuring better outcomes.
The e-guide includes sections and tools designed to help small, medium and large enterprises to:
- Self-assess if there is a need for an edge infrastructure management solution
- Map the business requirement to the solution
- Assemble the right team of experts with appropriate skillsets
Speaking on the launch of the new e-guides, Jamie Bourassa, VP IT Channel Strategy, Schneider Electric, noted: “Our reliance on digital experiences is ever-increasing, changing how we personally interact with each other and the companies with whom we do business. A digital customer experience is now a business imperative and IT professionals – from end users to VARs and MSPs — are navigating a complex new hybrid IT world.
“We have developed these guides, along with tools and other resources, to remove some of the complexity from the process of developing a unique edge computing strategy.”
The e-guides are available to download today on APC.com and SE.com.