Skip to content Skip to footer

Equinix signs a second PPA with Neoen & Prokon

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Image credit: rawf8 / Shutterstock.com

Equinix has signed a power purchase agreement (PPA) with renewable energy producer Neoen and project developer Prokon for at least 42MW of wind power.

The PPA will provide renewable energy for Equinix’s International Business Exchange (IBX) data centres in Finland.

Under the 10-year agreement, Equinix will purchase 80% of the green energy set to be produced by the Lumivaara wind farm, which will comprise nine wind turbines and provide a total capacity of at least 53 MW. Construction of Lumivaara is scheduled to begin in 2023, with commissioning to follow in early 2025.

Neoen owns an 80% of the project, with Prokon, the original developer, owning the remaining 20%.

This is the second PPA signed between Equinix, Neoen and Prokon, and is Neoen’s eighth corporate PPA in Finland since 2018. With the introduction of the Lumivaara wind farm, Neoen has 600 MW of secured capacity within Finland.

This latest renewable energy PPA brings Equinix’s total capacity under long-term contract globally to 297 MW.

Sami Holopainen, Managing Director, Finland at Equinix, said, “Finland is fast becoming a world leader in environmental sustainability and at Equinix we are proud to play a significant role in that story. I’m delighted to sign our second power purchase agreement with Neoen and Prokon, quickly following the agreement we executed in December last year to take more than 30 MW from their Björkliden wind farm. By bringing our total renewables purchasing to over 75 MW in Finland, Equinix is once again leading the way in its support of the renewables industry, reaffirming its commitment to more sustainable power generation, and taking yet another significant step towards accomplishing our pledge to become climate neutral globally by 2030.”

“Signing the PPA is an important milestone for Prokon,” said Jakob Kjellman, Director of Prokon Finland. “We are extremely grateful for the trust placed in us, not only by our business partners but also by the landowners and the Hyrynsalmi municipality, who supported Prokon in initiating the project in 2016 and who accompanied Prokon in our joint effort to develop renewable energies in Finland.”

Xavier Barbaro, CEO and Chairman of Neoen, added, “I would like to congratulate our teams in Finland for this new achievement. We are proud to continue expanding our asset portfolio in Finland, already our third largest country. This new contract further demonstrates our ability to deliver value for companies like Equinix, which are seeking to secure a supply of competitive, local renewable energy. Corporate PPAs are one of the biggest growth areas for our company in Europe and in the rest of the world and will be an important share of our target of 10 GW in operation or under construction by the end of 2025.”

Show CommentsClose Comments

Leave a comment